Sunday, July 1, 2012

Authenticity


I’ve been thinking about the relevance of student work outside of the classroom: The more it has, the more motivated students may be.

Here are some times from my own education when I felt my work was important.

In elementary school — I think it was fourth grade — my teacher allowed a small group of students to skip out of the classroom here and there over a period of weeks to help younger students (Kindergartners?) learn about counting and using money by setting up and running a pretend store for them. My family’s Monopoly game was never the same. I stole the $1’s for the store — to this day, I still prefer to round up in increments of five. Anyway, this was a standout elementary experience. Why? For one, the teacher showed she trusted us to work outside of the classroom structure & routine, more or less unsupervised (likely, there was more adult facilitation of this project than I remember, but that would be another hallmark of successful teaching — when the role of the adult is in the background). Upon this foundation, the experience had immediate and visible impact: we, the older students, could see the “little” kids’ excitement.

Fast forward to high school, in an Econ class. The teacher required every student to write a consumer complaint letter. I think I wrote mine to a cosmetics company and ended up getting a refund. The particulars aren’t as important as what I learned about the role of the consumer in a capitalist system — particularly, that I mattered. I also learned something that’s proven helpful in all kinds of contexts: that in making a complaint (or in negotiating) it’s important to have a clear understanding of what you want from a situation. That was an important part of the lesson. We had to come up with and include in our letters a proposed resolution to our issue — and ask for it. In addition to the writing skills involved, these were life lessons, and they were real outside of the classroom.

In college (my second time around), I had an English class where the professor, bless him, recognized that paradox of grading students on the quality of their writing (vis-a-vis the traditional essay) even though writing was not being taught; thus, he offered a “creative” track, where students could keep something more akin to a journal. Don’t get me wrong. The writing still had to demonstrate that we were learning. In some ways, it may have been more work. But because we had some freedom as to how and what we wrote, we could make it meaningful. I, for example, knew I was heading toward teaching, so much of my journal included writing on teaching the content we were reading.

These are times that came to mind rather readily. For sure, the premise — that the more relevance student work has beyond the classroom, the better — is one I will come back to as I embark on my own teaching.

For now, it’s very clear from these short snapshots that creating authentic experiences for students involves allowing students some autonomy and connecting their learning to who they are as individuals in their communities outside the classroom, whether those roles are as near as who they are as leaders within the school or as far-reaching as who they are as members of society.

7 comments:

  1. I liked reading your short stories of educational moments that have been meaningful to you. I think the important aspect that you highlighted was that you felt like what you were doing was meaningful, and could be related to every day life (I'm paraphrasing here, so forgive me if I'm wrong). With this in mind, do you think that technology is necessary to motivating today's students? Is Sheskey right that we need to bring technology into our classrooms in order to engage students and show them that what they're learning can be related to their every day lives? Or are there other ways to make meaningful lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your short stories really capture Sheskey's point that introducing something new in a classroom can completely change the students' learning experience. I especially liked your phrase "creating authentic experiences" because as teachers, this seems to be our main goal for our students. We not only want students to learn but we want them to engage in the classroom. I also like this idea of autonomy--how do you think we could keep this autonomy when students use technology in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your stories, interesting who certain thing resonate in our memory and become seminal events in our lives. I thought the interesting lesson of asking for something is always fun. Who would have guessed that writing a letter, highlighting an issue and seeking resolution would be so fruitful, lol...My mantra, if you don't ask then the answer is always no, seems to frame that situation.

    Technology amazes me. I have and am a fan of Star Trek and I remember the “IPads”, the “cell phones” and other technological advances shown on the program. We did not think they would actually be invented, or perhaps just in our lifetime, but guess what, they are here. I saw 8trak tapes come and go, I grew up with black and white TV, finally getting a color TV, and playing the pong video game for hours. In high school and I remember the first Apple computer in my high school, arriving in my junior year.

    Now my kids have been surfing the net and using the computer to find information, write reports and play games. In school they are using are using technology everyday and for almost every facet of learning. We have no choice as teachers, we will have to use technology in our classrooms. Technology is already in the classroom and will continue to be a big part of the educational process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your post was really enjoyable. You're hitting on something that all of us, as educators, hold near and dear to us: making things real. If something isn't authentic and genuine, what's the point? I'm just on the cusp of being what Shesky called "technology natives," but I still see a very distinct difference between something that is technology based and something that is tangible and for lack of a better word, real. Sometimes I forget that the kids we're teaching are 100% electronic--do people even turn in hard copies of papers any more? Do we still graph out math problems by hand?

    I'm not scared of technology. I'm fairly confident in how I can use it in my classroom, but it's interesting to think of what an entirely low-tech class would be like today and how our students would react to it. What would they think if we wrote our lecture notes on the board instead of using powerpoint? Would they know how to do research without the internet? Are those ideas they can even imagine?

    Technology is a huge part of job as teachers, even if we don't initially realize it. If we weren't using it, I think our administrators and peers would be concerned about why we were avoiding it. I'm interested in finding out what role we have as non-technology content area teachers when it comes to using technology.

    Or can we even a say any teacher is a non-technology teacher today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to take stock of the qualities and attributes embedded in these three stories, T.O.T. I see ideas like students feeling that they had earned the trust of adults, bringing elements of the outside world into the classroom, giving kids opportunities to taste adult responsibilities and feel a sense of agency, letting students take ownership over their work, and making students aware feel recognized as individuals...among other things. You've given yourself lots of great material for thought...how can you create assignments and projects, and cultivate a classroom environment where I can evoke some of these qualities of experience for my students?
    That's a marvelous challenge for you to work on this year, T.O.T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you addressed some of the benefits that technology might afford us in our classrooms without actually using technology in your examples. It helps me to swallow the idea that although technology seems to present us with novel experiences and issues, in actuality, it is just a more advanced means to attaining the same goals. Through reading your blog, as well as those of others in our cohort, I am becoming more aware of this idea of technology as a more relevant (to the students) tool to fostering the same environment of creativity, autonomy, success and learning for which all teachers strive. My question to you is, considering all these examples of engaged learning without technology, how might you envision yourself using technology to reach this level of engagement with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a gorgeous connection between your own experiences and those you envision for your students. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete