Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Well, actually ...

This evening, my six year old got really frustrated with an online game and wanted to "post on facebook" that it was "stupid." Already thinking about how to encourage him to be a good digital citizen, I talked to him about why it might not be a good idea to express online really strong feelings that you have right now but might not have later on because putting things online makes them pretty much public "forever."

So he asked if there was a way to put it just on our computer — aside from the anger, I think he genuinely was looking for a way to remind himself (in case he forgot) that he'd tried this particular game, didn't like it, and he shouldn't waste his time again. Two weeks ago, I would have said no. Tonight, after learning recently about Diigo, I said, well, actually ...

(This isn't really an official class post, but I thought it too precious not to share.)

2 comments:

  1. I know this isn't an official class post, but hopefully this still counts for my comments (because it did have to do with class). I think it is pretty cool that you are applying the skills and information we are learning to your personal life. I like Diigo, but I haven't really been using the comment portion. I love that you made it a teachable moment for your son! I will keep that in mind for my future classes, good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TR - sure!
    @Teacher of Tomorrow - awesome!

    ReplyDelete